Friday, November 30, 2007

On turtlenecks


I miss wearing turtlenecks. Those of you who knew me in college may remember my "every-day-of-the-week" turtleneck sweater collection. But some time early 2006 I developed an anti-turtleneck condition. Now, when I wear anything that hits above my collar bone--shirt, necklace, scarf, very quickly I start to feel like I am choking. Sometimes I even start pulling at the object around my neck. It drives me crazy. So no more turtlenecks.

The thing is, I know turtlenecks. I trust them. I can count on them to help me feel beautiful. So loosing the ability to wear them has seriously hampered my closet confidence. I actually went into the doctor at one point because I worried the growth of the sudden choking feeling was a result of a thyroid problem. The doctor said he wasn't sure what the deal was, and took me off some medication. That didn't change anything about my neck, although it did land me in bed for a week while my body adjusted to being off the meds. (Thanks, Dr. S--) Off topic, that was some odd medication. While I was on it, I wasn't ticklish. But since being off of it, I've become ticklish again.

I've passed on most of my old turtlenecks. It just isn't worth keeping them if I can't wear them. But I have saved one or two favorites. If this odd condition ever goes away, you'll know what I'll be wearing.

2 comments:

Jennifer Ricker said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! you did it - now you can never blog again!?! i'm enjoying it though!

thepainterfamily said...

yeah! what a month! shoot about the turtlenecks! :)