Wednesday, November 14, 2007

On rolls

Tonight I've been making rolls for the Thanksgiving luncheon at work tomorrow. I found a recipe in the newspaper for Maple-Pumpkin Dinner Rolls (recipe below) and decided to try them out for the event. I just ate one warm from the oven. Verdict: yummy, but not a very strong pumpkin or maple flavor. I did have a bit of a problem with the recipe. I feel like I had to add a lot of extra flour to make it the right non-sticky.

I'm not sure I'm a fan of the multiple Thanksgiving things. The first year we were married, I had three Thanksgiving luncheons: one for work, one for church, and one with the family. I just don't understand why we go all year without eating turkey and then eat turkey with as many different people as possible. Why not have a taco bar? We could still share our feelings of gratitude and not run the risk of turkey overdose.


Maple-Pumpkin Dinner Rolls
Start to finish: 1 hour 35 minutes (20 minutes active)
Makes 16 rolls
2 1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1/2 cup cornmeal, plus additional for dusting rolls
2 1/4 teaspoons rapid-rise yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree (nothing added)
3/4 cup milk, plus additional for brushing the rolls
1/4 cup pure maple syrup

In a food processor, combine 2 cups of the flour, the cornmeal, yeast and salt. Pulse to combine. Alternatively, in a medium bowl, whisk the ingredients together then proceed with the recipe using a stand mixer.

In a small saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Add the pumpkin puree, 3/4 cup milk and maple syrup. Stir over low heat just until very warm, about 120 degrees F to 130 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer.

Add the warm pumpkin mixture to the dry ingredients and process or mix until thoroughly combined. Pulse or mix in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft, sticky dough that pulls away from the side of the bowl.

If using a processor, process for 2 minutes to knead. If using a stand mixer, knead with a dough hook for about 5 minutes.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, shape into a ball, cover with plastic wrap and let stand 10 minutes.

Coat two baking sheets with cooking spray. Uncover the dough and cut it into 16 equal pieces. In the palm of your hands, roll each piece into a smooth round ball.

Set the balls 2 inches apart on the baking sheets and cover them loosely with plastic wrap. Let the rolls rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Near the end of the rising time, place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F. Brush the tops of the rolls with milk and sprinkle with a dusting of flour.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until browned. Serve warm, or let cool and reheat before serving

No comments: