Friday, November 16, 2007

On stories 2

Over time, I've also come to understand better that we only tell the stories we think are interesting. Which means, most of the time, we don't tell the "good" stories. For example, when I tell stories about the boys I dated, I don't tell about the nice guy that took me out a few times, we had a good time, and then moved on. No, I tell the stories about "yellow rubber clogs" "Banana Republic Frank" and the boy who told me he only came around because I "amused him."

And really, what is so exciting about stories about the nice guys or the nice vacations or the nice restaurants. It is more exciting to tell the stories of the great guys or the great vacations or the great restaurants. And it is even more exciting to tell the stories of the crazy guys, the bizarre vacations, and the awful restaurants.

Just something to think about this holiday season as you sit around the table and shoot the breeze.

No comments: