
It seems like Clint and the universe have been conspiring recently to get me to start blogging. Clint has several times encouraged me to consider blogging. He has usually been rebuffed by the "don't-have-time" argument. The universe, being a less verbal communicator, has led me to lovely and tempting blogs from family, friends, and strangers. "Look," it seems to say, "see what fun bloggers have? Wouldn't you like to have fun? Wouldn't you like to have a lovely blogger life?"
But as tempting as Clint and the universe make blogging appear, I seem to run into a wall at the next step: what do I blog about?
And so I run through the kinds of blogs I've seen:
* Diary with descriptions of family and personal events
* Post pictures of family and travels
* Provide advice
* Retell humorous stories
* Muse on the world
* Rage against stupidity
* Complain about injustice
And that's where I get stuck. For each kind of blog, I can find reasons it wouldn't work for me. Photo blog? I am great at taking my camera with me when I go out. I am awful at taking the camera out of the bag and taking pictures. Advice blog? I certainly have my opinions, but I don't feel like I have oodles of relevant experience to bestow on the world. Rage against stupidity blog? But who wants to live in perpetual rage? Diary blog? Really, my life isn't that exciting.
And that doesn't even touch on the public vs. private debate that goes on in my head. A private blog, one that is shared with family and friends, has the benefit of and openness and honesty that I don't know if I would replicate on the Wide World o' Web. Do I really want any complete stranger from Topeka, Kansas, reading about my life and family? But with an invitation-only blog, I could share names and dates and pictures without worrying if some creep was stumbling across my personal life.
On the other hand, a public blog that (for me) forces anonymity would allow me to share thoughts on crummy days at work or crazy political leanings or personal insecurities. While I would do my best to obfuscate as many details as possible, I would also be able to share tidbits on a anonymous blog that I might not on a family blog. Crazy PMS? Here comes the anonymous blog posting.
If I am ever able to resolve the above dilemma, I then come to the issue of publicity. I love writing--you should see some of the emails I've sent out over the years. But I love writing to share with people. For me, blogging is about connections and creating community. So, if I decide on what kind of blog to write, and if I find the time, and if...and if...and if.... How do I get people to read my blog? I have never been good at self promotion. I nearly cried my way through scholarship applications in high school. Job applications are worse than a trip to the dentist. So how am I supposed to say, "Look at me! Spend your time reading my rambling thoughts! Love me!" and actually be convincing?
I still don't know what the answers to these musings are. For now, I plan on trying this blogging thing for a month. Maybe as I write I will discover my own nitch in the Blog-o-verse.
No comments:
Post a Comment