Monday, November 26, 2007

On Publix

One good thing about the move is that we are now less than five minutes from a grocery store. And not any grocery store--now our neighborhood food source is Publix. I have to say, I am a fan of Publix. Our store is not too big, not too small. It has a good selection of most things. The bakery makes Clint's favorite sourdough round. I have found that for most products, Publix brand is just as good, if not better, than the traditional name-brand products. For example, the Publix yogurt is just about perfect. It even comes in two sizes, one that is just right for my lunch, and a bigger size with a resealable cap.

But even better than the store itself are the people. I don't think I could be such a happy camper if I worked at a grocery store, but most of the time most of the people I interact with at the store are pleasant, helpful, and kind.

Here's an example. Saturday night after filling my cart with a variety of needs and wants, I stopped by the sandwich counter at Publix to pick up dinner. Somehow I started talking with one of the men at the counter about long days at work and the Thanksgiving holiday. He told me that he had seen Enchanted with his 18 year old granddaughter. He said if she liked the movie, it must not be too bad. I laughed and agreed that teenagers can be opinionated sometimes. He remarked that I couldn't be much older than that myself. That made me laugh again, and I shared the birthday-tomorrow fact. By that time, the sandwich was done, and both he and the other man working the counter wished me a happy birthday.

Such a small interaction, but it was a sunny spot in my day.

No comments: