Instead, today's musings find their source in Thursday's book group discussion of The Ladies Auxiliary. The Ladies Auxiliary describes several of the Jewish customs or traditions of repentance, seeking forgiveness, and generally becoming clean before God. But there is so much judgement in the book ... in the discussion, I was sad that a people who have so frequent reminders to forgive, to repent, to be clean ignored all of the opportunities to change and still choose gossip, distrust, and judgement.
But then I saw how I am the very same. I have a weekly chance to see myself as God sees me, and to choose to abandon my sins and become clean again. And as often as the ladies of The Ladies Auxiliary fulfilled the outer symbolism without a change of heart, I too ignore my invitation of the sacrament to reconcile myself with God and my fellow women and men. So today, as I renewed my baptismal covenants, I tried to turn my heart to God again, grateful for the reminder.
No comments:
Post a Comment