Thursday, November 5, 2009

Some thoughts on shopping

When I was visiting my parents over the summer, we watched What Not to Wear several times. While I would never, never, never want to be on that show, it got me trying to think more pro-actively about what I wear, which in turn inspired a few shopping trips this fall, and led to most of these thoughts.
===
I love Target. Do you know, for every brought-from-home-bag you bring and use, you get five cents off of your purchase? One of the grocery stores in my mom's town does the same thing. I haven't found any of the grocery stores around me that do the same thing, but I wouldn't mind if it becomes a trend. Five cents a bag isn't a lot, but it always feels like a pat on the back to me.
===
Speaking of bringing your own bags, Bath and Body Works has cute nylon bags that fold up into small packages for $2 each. They cost more than the canvas bags most grocery stores sell for $1 each, but they are cuter, fold up smaller, and hold more.
===
Just don't buy the blue one at Bath and Body Works, unless you don't care that it has their name all over it.
===
Why must we pay to buy things with advertising all over it? As much as possible, if I am going to wear a company's name, they are going to have provided the product or paid me.
===
When did Old Navy abandon quality completely? The last time I went in, I was shocked to see what they were selling. The first time I shopped there felt like a dream come true--cute clothes that weren't too expensive. Of course, that was back in the days when I lived with very limited shopping choices, but still. I miss the old Old Navy.
===
Can you wear a jean jacket with jeans? I can't quite bring myself to do it. Any tips on finding a cute, non-jean jacket to wear with jeans?
===
What do you wear as your casual shoes? I've tried branching out my shoe selection lately, but I miss arch support. I'm considering these from L.L. Bean (I can see arch support!) but I think I would wait until they go on sale.
===
Do you have limits on what you'll spend on a particular item? Or do you have a buy-it-now price for other things? When I was going into the office every day, I was always on the lookout for button-up shirts, and if I ever found a new color for less than $20, it was coming home with me.
===
Shopping at Kohl's is a bit like a treasure hunt--in a different way than discount stores like Marshall's or T.J. Maxx. At Kohl's the treasure hunt is all about the price, and I see no reason to ever pay list price for something at Kohl's.
===
Where are your favorite places to shop? What is your favorite thing to shop for?

2 comments:

Nicole said...

wow, okay... where to begin. LOVE this post by the way... and since shopping and bargain hunting is in my bloodline... i offer some tips/ideas/points of view! :)

1. old navy is crap. somewhere in the last few years, they've gone down hill. the put their logo on everything. ugh. after 1 wash, it looks 10 years old (kids stuff big time)

2. wear a khaki cotton jacket or a black cotton jacket with denim pants. probably one that goes in around the waist, maybe a bit of a belt, with cinches in the back. very slenderizing, and my personal fave. i agree, no to denim pants and denim jacket. no good at all, ever except the '80's. go here for example of style of jacket (even color really) http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/womens/coats/lightweightfleece1/PRD~486370/Croft+and+Barrow+DoubleBreasted+Raincoat.jsp

3. casual shoes. kohls, love a cute ballet shoe. don't be afraid to buy a red or even purple shoe that matches nothing and is the "star" of your outfit. it can make a boring outfit of jeans and a plain top, seem to pop and look fun! http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/shoes/womens/flats/PRD~240409/Croft+and+Barrow+Kerri+Ballet+Flats++Wide.jsp.

4. which brings me to kohls, love it. never pay full price. never pay shipping, www.retailmenot.com to check for additional discount codes. keep your reciepts for everything, easy returning. buy online, return to store. easy.

Miss Sarah in Georgia said...

Thanks for the great tips! I found a great jacket yesterday at Kohls (unfortunately not online). Now I just have to decide whether to keep the khaki or the purple corduroy ...