First, I need to apologize. I did post yesterday; unfortunately, because it was a draft I started in October, it posted with an October date. If you're interested in reading my book review of Bel Canto by Ann Patchett, you can find it here.
One of the things that makes me feel decadent is having empty drawers or cupboards in my kitchen. From time to time, as I reorganize and shuffle things in the quest for the one true kitchen arrangement, I end up with empty space. But instead of filling the space, I will often leave it empty as long as I can, just because I can. In some ways, it is a false luxury; our kitchen is large, and many of the things I have removed from the kitchen I have put in the garage or stored somewhere else. Maybe the real luxury would be less stuff--less to store, to care for, to move when that day comes. I could certainly be more discerning about what I keep; you should see my collection of empty peanut butter jars. And maybe some day I'll get to that point. For now, I pretend. And smile when I see the empty space.
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
oh sarah, you're funny.
what I wouldn't GIVE for an empty cupboard!!
Maybe another reason it's a luxury? :)
i think you can go in to edit and change the date...?
Post a Comment