Thursday, June 26, 2008

A bit anti-clamatic, really

I'm sorry I haven't been good at posting lately. Blame it on a mix of happily quiet lives and preoccupation with other things.

Today was my last day of full-time, driving into the office work. The last day of having a desk and having to be at it regularly. After two years and three months of working full-time on the Civil Rights Digital Library, I am transitioning into a part-time position. I will primarily work from home, going in to the office about once a month. In my mind, this has been kind of a big deal, representing a fundamental shift in resources, time, and energy. Being someone who likes to leave things done, I made sure that library books were returned, papers were recycled, personal belongings gathered, and spaces cleaned so that whoever inherits the space-that-was-my-desk doesn't also inherit my stuff.

And yet ... today, when the time came to leave, as I picked up my box of papers, my bag of snacks, and said good-bye, it kind of felt like any other day. I didn't really expect much, and I certainly didn't want a fuss ... but it feels odd to feel this event that is such a large transition in my life is so minor to others ...

Just some thoughts at the tired end of a long week. I do have other, more interesting and exciting things to post ... later ...

4 comments:

thepainterfamily said...

ahhh sarah! It is such a hard transition to leave something (at least leave "most" of it) that you have invested so much time and energy into. I am SURE your coworkers DO and WILL miss ya! I will never forget after I had packed up my classroom. It was just so surreal. But the thing that really got me, was taking my "Mrs. Painter" name plaque off the wall by my door. I totally cried as I put it into my box of stuff. I am guessing you will love working from home...and creating a NEW daily routine. I can't wait to hear about your other fun updates! Hope your weekend is relaxing!

Brandy said...

Hey Sarah-

It seems like I haven't talked with you in forever.

Congrats on the part time!!! I know you are happy :-)

I can't wait to hear your other news!!!

Later-
Brandy

M said...

Well, congratulations, sweets! I think it's brilliant! You're moving on and up and forward and it's hard but it's better in the end.

Incidentally, me too.

And yes, it's a bit weird. But in a good way.

Jennifer Ricker said...

congratulations on moving to the next chapter in your life - semi retirement:-) Things like that will always take an adjustment period and then you'll be so busy with other projects and visitors (me and abby) that you'll wonder how you ever managed a full time job!!

WHAT"S THIS ABOUT OTHER NEWS???