Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Some introspection, or commitment

Although I've received encouragement to commit to the NaBloPoMo challenge, I've hesitated to do so. And in my hesitation, I've been faced with a weakness I thought I had overcome.

I am afraid to commit.

I am afraid of commitment.

I spent most of my years at BYU aware to some degree of my reluctance to commit. My poor roommates were probably more aware of that than I was. It was something I worked to overcome, something I thought I had conquered. After all, a happily married woman can't be afraid of commitment, can she? Apparently, I can.

In thinking about my fear, I've recognized a couple of ways it is manifest in my life. When we go out to eat, I hate being the one deciding on our location because I don't want to commit to a decision, leading to meandering conversations that include a variety of options that sometimes seems to go on forever. When asked if I'll help with a project, I'll often say "I'll try" because in my mind, it gives me the all-important escape hatch.

Or maybe this isn't a fear of commitment. Maybe it is a fear of the potential of disappointing people. I can make commitments and do a fairly good job of following through when it is just me commiting to myself.

Either way, I am going to (gulp!) take the step and commit to NaBloPoMo. I may fail, but at least I will commit to try.

3 comments:

Charlotta-love said...

I already thought you had committed. You have posted everyday since the beginning of the month. Way to go!

Jennifer Ricker said...

yeay!!! congratulations you commitment phobe you!!

M said...

Excellent.

Also, did you know that we are the same person?

I hate committing to people, places or things--and lest you think it's just the nouns that suffer, I also hate committing to verbs. The Husband kept having to remind me that marriage isn't the all-terrifying thing I was making it out to be. I hyperventilated when I found out I was pregnant because DUDE! The commitment! There's no returning that little one once he's here!