Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Review: Marking time

Book a Month Challenge: January 2008
Title: Marking time : the epic quest to invent the perfect calendar
Author: Duncan Steel

Genre: Non-fiction / Science
Age level: Adults

The Book a Month Challenge for January was to read a book about time. Since I had just been formulating my idea for a perfect calendar (I may post more about that later ...), I thought it might be interesting to read about calendars and how our current calendar came to be. So on a lunch break (on the perks of working at a library) I picked up Marking Time and got started. And while I had high asperations of learning everything I had ever wanted to about calendars, I found myself distracted by the writing and bogged down by the lengthy introduction and background and outline and explanation. I never actually made it to the point of learning about the calendar. I tried skipping a few chapters into the book to see if I could get past Steel's commentary to the actual history, but found that even several chapters in, the peanut gallery was still shouting over the story.

So I didn't finish the book I chose for this month's challenge. Luckily I had already started reading Love in the time of cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. The benefit is this month you get a two-for-one book review.

1 comment:

thepainterfamily said...

well darn...I am a non-fiction NERD! I read NF about 5 x for every 1 F? I think the premise sounds facinating...too bad!