Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Review: Every second counts

Book a Month Challenge: February 2008
Title: Every second counts: the race to transplant the first human heart
Author:
Donald McRae
Genre: Non-fiction / Science
Age level: Adults

The theme this month was "heart," and although I think of myself as a romantic, I just couldn't find a "heart as in love" book to read this month. Thankfully, the non-fiction science book I choose this month didn't disappoint.

And, before I begin, a random bit of good news. I love my local public library. Love, love, love it. It's small but with a great open floor plan, my favorite online catalog software, and a nifty self-checkout thing. And the people are so friendly! And it is close! Wonderful.

But back to the review ... Every second counts skillfully weaves the story of the four main surgeons involved in the race to transplant the first human hearts in the 1960s. Two of the surgeons began as partners in California before one of the pair moved to Virginia. The other two were "mavericks" in New York and South Africa. In the end, the race was one by as much by happenstance and luck as by preparation and skill. But the preparation, research, and skill is what kept the future of heart transplant alive, leading to the world we have now.

McRae skillfully weaves the stories of the four doctors together into one narrative. He does so while respecting the suspense and mystery of the history, recognizing that not every reader is familiar with the narrative. He also explains the scientific background without being too heavy-handed; even with my limited background in science I felt I understood what was happening enough to follow the story. One special treat--after finishing the book, I took a look at the notes section and was enchanted. McRae documents his research and the background of the book in a very readable narrative, making the notes the part of the story that didn't fit in the book but that is still important enough to tell.

No comments: