Sunday, January 13, 2008

Nostalgia


The other day on the way home from work, I came up a hill and around a corner and thought I saw the mountains from home in the distance. I quickly realized that it was just the tree branches that made it look like a mountain. I am a little surprised at how much that one illusion of mountains made me homesick.

There are a few things that make me really nostalgic--the ocean and the mountains. I got a bit of an ocean fix over Christmas. It was ... so nice to be near the water on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. I loved being in a room that over looked the ocean. The mountains are a bit harder to replicate. I love mountains generally, but I really love the mountains from back home. I miss them.

The picture isn't of my mountains--for now this is one I found under a Creative Commons license. If I can find a picture of the right mountain--the one I thought I saw--I'll update the image.

3 comments:

The Hall's said...

I totally agree Sarah. If there's one thing I miss the most about home (other than family), it's the mountains. A friend recently told me that their 5 year old daughter calls the very small hills on the golf course behind their home "mountains" and I just about died! Michigan seriously needs something on the horizon!

thepainterfamily said...

ohh, Sarah! and your mountains are soooo beautiful! I still remember that picture you had freshman year of the view from your kitchen sink...A-A-A-MAZING!

Unknown said...

I have similar experiences on 316 driving back to Atlanta on Monday mornings all the time. I come over a hill and the cloudscale on the horizon is reminiscent of mountains. Although I did not grow up around them by any stretch of the imagination (Moscow, Indiana?), it makes me similarly nostalgic.