Friday, April 1, 2011

We miss Grandma

After my very first appointment with the OB, when my due date was set as March 8, we looked at the calendar with my mom and realized that her spring break was the last full week of March and that it would be the perfect time for her to come out and meet her first grandbaby. Since none of the Ricker cousins had gone past their due date, and since the doctor I was with at the time said he wouldn't let me go past 41 weeks, the baby was sure to be here by the time she came.

We switched insurance plans in January and the policy of the new practice is to wait to induce until 42 weeks, which while I appreciate, caused me all sorts of consternation when my due date came and went without any progress, because that meant my mom could be here before the baby came, and that the blessing, which we planned based on my parents' visit, would be much closer to the birth than we had anticipated. As it was, Mom arrived 24-hours before we started the induction and was able to come to the hospital and meet her grandson hours after he was born. And she was able to change her ticket and stay a few more days to help out, which was a great blessing as I have recovered from the c-section and tried to follow the guidelines to do so.

Grandma left for home Friday afternoon, and we were all sad about it. Even Henry cried when she left. We're all counting down the days until our visit to Alaska this summer. And I know we're all grateful for digital photos and video chats.



1 comment:

Grandma Cantrell said...

I really liked your mom. So glad she was able to be here for the big event! And Henry gets cuter everyday.