Thursday, September 9, 2010

How do you browse?

I'm out of books to read (or more precisely, books I want to read) at home, so yesterday I went to the library. You know me, I am a librarian, I love libraries, I was sure I would find something I wanted to read. So I wandered in and looked at the display of new books. Not finding anything there, I went to a computer to look up a book I had heard about. It isn't carried at our branch, and it is checked out of every other branch in the library system. So I decided to browse through the fiction section and pick out a couple of books to take home. And I feel like I looked at the spine of every book in the section and found .... nothing. Really. In the whole fiction section of my branch library, I picked up nothing, checked out nothing, and left with nothing. I felt kind of ridiculous since all the books there are free and I could have brought home any one I wanted. Today, I'm blaming it on a loss of ability to browse. When I was a teenager volunteering at the public library, I used to take care of half of my shelf-reading duties just by checking books out. Most of them I didn't read, but the idea was that they would (hopefully) be put back in the right place when I returned them.

So, friends, can you help me out? What books have you read lately that you enjoyed? Any that you recommend I check out of the library?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

WHAT??? Is it TRUE??? I have a comment about this post but it will have to wait because I can't get over the NEWS!!! :) :) :) (And I have to take Alayna to the bus stop...)

thepainterfamily said...

I'm embarrassed to say...I've got nothin.

also, I'm patiently waiting the blog-announcement!

:)

xoxo

M said...

Dude.

amazon.com

the single greatest thing about their website is the "customers who bought this also bought this..." function. I love to browse through the combinations.

I just read Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer. I'm rereading My Name is Asher Lev and then I think I'm going to read Silas Marner with a couple of girl friends.