Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Three

Three years ago this week we sold our first home and moved into our lovely home. The selling and buying and moving was the usual chaotic adventure, complete with cross-county drives and nights sleeping in the kitchen (old house) or the living room (new house) on our mattresses. Three months later, as the house became home and we settled into our new routines, I took the last pill in the month-long pack and with a mix of wonder and nerves through the empty pack into the trash. At a doctor's appointment earlier that summer, I was told that based on my history, I shouldn't have any problems getting pregnant. I made plans for our baby to be the next Ricker baby, grandchild #3 on that side of the family.

Things didn't work out as expected, and my sisters-in-law had #3, #4, and #5. And while I was excited for them and loved the new nieces and nephew, it was hard to be patient for my turn. Sometimes, it was even hard to believe I would get a turn.

Earlier this year, we started fertility treatments. We were told we had three tries with one procedure and if that didn't work, we could try a more complicated, expensive procedure for three tries. At the end of our first try, we were in Utah for my brother's and my sister's graduations, and I had the perfect plan to tell my family the good news. But there wasn't any good news to share that month, or the next. We started the third try with little hope, expecting we would end up trying the more complicated, expensive procedure once before our insurance ran out. But three months ago, sweet Nurse D from the clinic called with the good news we didn't expect.

I'm seventeen weeks pregnant today. We become a family of three in March.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

And March is the THIRD month! Looks like you've got a new lucky number! We are so excited for you - are you going to find out the gender? If you are I guess that will be soon!

Miss Sarah in Georgia said...

March is the third month, but I didn't want to beat a dead horse. :)

We plan on finding out the gender ... three weeks from now. (See what I mean?) I've been getting boy vibes and Clint's been feeling it is a girl, so we'll see.

Charlotta-love said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations!

(and you posted this 3 hours ago!)

Krista said...

YAHOOOOO!!!!!!! This post was ULTRA exciting to read, even though I knew what was coming!! Beautifully put Sarah, and CONGRATULATIONS again! Lucky number three... love it. So wait, are you going to know by our DINNER NIGHT?!?!!!! Oh and can the Sorensens come too?

The Hall's said...

So unbelievably excited for you guys! I'm so happy that you got your turn for a sweet little newborn in your home! Can't wait to hear if there will be blue or pink at your house.

Jessica Mikesell Brooks said...

Sarah-

I had tears spring to my eyes immediatley when I read that last line. Hooray!! I believe that spring babies are the best. Your summers are more enjoyable (you aren't pregnant, then you can enjoy them with your baby!) It has been too long since we've been in touch. I miss you. PS I searched your blog a few weeks ago and found your black bean burrito recipie. Delicious!!!! I put the extra in the freezer for another night, and when I went to put something in the freezer then next morning they were GONE! Just too good I guess... They went in my husband's lunch.

Salem said...

I am just SO excited about this! I know my story cannot compare to yours, but it is amazing how once these little ones join your family, the wait didn't seem too long after all. Or maybe it just seems so worth it. Congrats to you both! I'm so excited to meet this little one!

Amy said...

Ahhhhh. That's all I have to say! miss you girlfriend!

thepainterfamily said...

You.

You are so awesome.

I really hope you can print this out (I might frame it in the nursery)

but bare minimum...it gets a special place in the baby book! :)

xoxo

ps
you know how I feel about March birthdays :)

Janelle said...

I'm so glad the news is out! Thanks for sharing your story too. I know a little of the pain you've felt (with trying for Lily), but it's amazing how that painful waiting time seems like it "wasn't so bad" once you have your happy news of pregnancy, and especially when you get to meet your baby. And it really comes in handy on the hard days of parenting to fall back on the fact that you fought for this. Babies are such blessings, and you will appreciate your little blessing all the more. Congratulations! we can't wait to find out what you're having.

Debby said...

Congratulations, Sarah. You too, Clint. I know the grandparents here in Juneau and extremely happy. Hope all goes smoothly.