Monday, February 23, 2009

The kitchen and a request

More pictures from the recent painting work done, this time of the kitchen. We also hung a few pictures on the wall in the kitchen as we were putting things back in place.

A view of the breakfast nook and the door leading to our lovely back yard.
One of the pictures we hung. Clint and I picked this out on our honeymoon with a gift certificate we received as a wedding gift. The image is of a street in downtown Juneau.
Another picture we hung, this one another wedding gift from a friend in Alaska. The picture is f a mother bear with three of her cubs and was done by the father of the giver.

Now for the request ... These serving pieces belonged to my great-grandmother. She and I were pen pals for several years while I was in elementary school and middle school. The pieces have a delicate decoration on the handle and decorative cutouts in the spoons. I love the idea of displaying them in the kitchen, but I'm not sure this look does what I was hoping for. So tell me honestly what you think. Does it need a different frame? A different background? Or should I just take it down?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm going to think about those utensils and get back to you. You should definitely display them, that's for sure. What is the background made of? Is it paintable? Also, is painting the frame a possibility?

Krista said...

Yah this one is a little tough. I loooooove the idea, I think it's so cool that you have them! But I'm not instantly in LOVE with the display if that's what you were asking. I can't tell right off what it needs though! Maybe it needs a frame that is 'higher' than the utensils so it kind of contains them more? You know what I mean, so the utensils are more inside the frame? You could do a big chunky frame with nothing inside, then hang the utensils on hooks in the wall (as fancy or not fancy as you want) 'inside' the empty frame? I guess that's my best idea so far. I'll let you know if I come up with anything else!

Nicole said...

i love it, i think they look really good. it's the whole idea behind it... really great, really special! :) i agree with the above comment, maybe just use the frame as a visual, and hang the utensils on the wall. that sounds cool. if you don't like it, put it back the way it was- because it looks good. the holes will be covered by the frame anyway :)

Miss Sarah in Georgia said...

The Bradley's--to answer your question on the background: that is actually a tan, freckled fabric, something from my stash at home (and probably not paintable). I also held the utensils up to a piece of black fabric that looked really sharp, but then the frame was lost, so I went with the tan for now. Painting the frame might be a possibility, but it is a cheap-o from Target, another something I had around the house, so it might just be better to buy a new one.

The Mullins--I've been thinking about a shadow box, but so far have been unable to find any when I've looked at JoAnn's or Michaels. Maybe I need to check Hobby Lobby ...

The Mullins and The Boyd family--Maybe I should try the utensils on the wall; that may be the look I'm hoping for.

I'll let you know if I make any changes ...

Brandy said...

hey sarah- i like the idea of a shadow box- not sure if they make them that big though. maybe two shadow boxes?

Richardson Family said...

Very creative! What a great idea...I really like it! (Even if my comment comes in a little late!!) :)