Monday, August 17, 2009

A book recommendation

The Ladies Auxiliary by Tova Mirvis

Set in an Orthodox Jewish community in Memphis--"The Jerusalem of the South"--the story recounts the year after a young woman and her daughter move to town. The woman, a convert to Judaism and a widow, brings her own flair to the community and causes community members to examine themselves in the process.

I liked how central Judaism was to this book--almost as if it were a character. And I liked that things were explained with a very light touch--I never felt dumb for not knowing the intricacies of traditions. Characters were very human and relate-able in a way that made me want to be a better person.

I loved the way Mirvis used "we" in the book. I devoured the beginning and couldn't stop reading through the middle and end, even though the train wreck I saw coming was so painful.

I am looking forward to recommending this book to my Relief Society book group and discussing it with my own church ladies.

No comments: