Sunday, August 16, 2009

A better way to cook beans

(The photo has nothing to do with the post. It is from our Alaska trip, I just like it, I haven't shared it yet, and I don't have a picture of beans.)

I love beans, especially kidney and black beans. Love, love, love beans. A few months ago, I bought some dried beans, thinking they would be good to have as food storage. And I've made them a few times, both with overnight and quick soak methods. But just before our vacation, Clint found a no-soak bean recipe. This method knocks the other methods out of the park, both in ease and results. Here's the recipe:

1 pound beans (about 2 cups dried)
1/2 tablespoon salt
water
Optional: onion, seasoning

Pre-heat the oven to 250. Dump the beans in a pot that can go on the stove and in the oven with a tight fitting lid. Pick through the beans and remove any broken pieces. Add the salt, and optionally half an onion, chopped, or other seasoning you like on your beans. Add enough water to cover the beans by an inch and a half. Bring the pot to a boil on the stove. When the beans are boiling, put them in the oven and cook them for 75 minutes. Check the beans after 45 minutes and add more water if they look too dry. Test the beans after 75 minutes--they should be done and delicious.

Cooked beans freeze well, and the last time I made the recipe, I doubled it. It did take a little bit longer to cook, but not as long as soaking overnight and then cooking.

3 comments:

thepainterfamily said...

oh! your timing is impecable! Dave's grandma just gave us bags and bags of all sorts of dried beans. :)

here's a question...some of the bags are "soup beans" which basically means they are all mixed together (pinto, kidney, white, even split pea) I have no idea what to do with those! I've never even eaten soup with all those sorts of beans together! :)

Jessica Mikesell Brooks said...

Sarah! Did I tell you I found your blog not too long again? It has been so fun reading about what you've been up to. I agree that beans are sooooo good. My mother in law taught me how to can dried beans. So easy! You need a pressure cooker, but just put the dried beans, water, salt in a pint or quart jar cook in the pressure cooker for 45 minutes and then you have canned beans (that are cooked as well). I love homemade refried beans, we can go through several jars...

Miss Sarah in Georgia said...

Tara--I haven't made the soup bean bags before, although it sounds like a delicious, hearty soup. Something that would be great with lots of veggies, too. :)

Jess--I'm so happy you found the blog and commented! Someday I'll have to learn the pressure cooked beans. My mom has mentioned the method, but I'm still a little intimidated ... :)