Sunday, December 7, 2008

Deck the halls, trim the tree



I'm feeling a Christmas itch this year that I haven't felt in a while. I want decorations up and Christmas music on. (If you have suggestions for Christmas albums, please let me know. I love my Christmas music, but I want more! more! more!)



This year (and last) I struggled a little with where to put some of the decorations. I finally figured things out for this year and I'm pleased with the way things turned out.

The theme this year appears to be stockings and snowflakes. And yes, there are more stockings than people in the house. And we actually aren't planning on filling them. I just wanted to display the ones I made.





The tree just has our Alaska ornaments. It's a small tree, so rather than overwhelm it, I only chose to use a few.

We started looking for a nativity set our first Christmas, and couldn't find one that we liked. I grew up with a full ceramic and full olive wood set, and I always imagined that I would have sets like those. We looked and looked that first Christmas and couldn't find anything like either of those until we were in Arizona with my family. This set was on sale at Deseret Book, and we gladly brought it home.






The dining room. I made the table runner last New Years. I really like the snowflakes hanging off of the light fixture.






Front room shelf. There is a glass nativity on the second shelf down on the far right. My family bought the set for my great-grandmother, and my sister has a matching set. When my great-grandmother passed away, the set went back to my mom who knew about our drama to find a set we liked, and sent it to us.

3 comments:

thepainterfamily said...

oh its beautiful SArah! and so festive! I just love your nativity set! I feel the same way. I haven't seen one yet. Why is it that the nativities of childhood are the GOLD STANDARD of sets! haha! I am not sure I will ever see one that will measure up! :) I wish I had better christmas album recomendations...I like listening to my Andrea Bocelli CD. (you just have to get over the plethora of Ave Maria songs...don't get me wrong, I enjoy that song, but after the 7th version...it gets a little old!) Plus it comes with a DVD that is kind of nice to pop in once in a while for background music as well (at parties and such)...also, after the Christmas devotional, I saw an ad (online) for a new MOTAB christmas CD...maybe that is an option you don't have yet?

Jennifer Ricker said...

very nice - I am glad you got the house all festive, even though you won't be there again this year. I have the willow tree nativity - it's very understated. For albums, MOTAB, Afterglow (don't let clint make fun like chris makes fun of me), Mirah Carey and Harry Connick are lively, and I have a Low album that we both like. Good luck! You'll start listening to christmas music the day after halloween like I do!?

Tiffany and Darien said...

You are so stinkin' cute. I wish I had the touch. Hey can I get your parents email address? you can email it to me if you'd like. Laugh4u99@hotmail.com Thanks! And Merry Christmas if I don't talk to you until then.