Thursday, October 14, 2010

Maternity clothes and movement, 19 weeks

I've been amazed at the challenge it has been to find maternity clothes. The few stores that sell maternity clothes in person often have pitiful selections in both size and variety. There are a few online-only options, but I've been hesitant to buy much without being able to try them on first. ON the other hand, I've mostly had luck with the things I have ordered. The one exception is the jacket that arrived yesterday; when I went to put it on, the lining on the right arm had been sewn in wrong making it nearly impossible to try on the jacket. (Customer service was helpful when I called today and said they would fully reimburse me.) I think I've finally got the essentials, as well as some helpful extras, for the next few months, but it has been an adventure. I'm grateful that I made it almost to twenty weeks before I really needed to wear anything besides my pre-pregnancy clothes.

The descriptions of the first feelings of movement are pretty vague, but I'm beginning to understand why--it's a really hard feeling to describe. For a while, I was convinced that I wouldn't know what movement felt like for several more weeks; I'm really good at talking myself in--or out--of almost anything. But Monday night, just after I got in bed, I felt several pops in a row in the same place. The only way I can describe it is like the muscle pops you can sometimes get after a workout, or the sound a car makes after you park and walk away for a few minutes. (Is this just an older car thing? Come to think about it, I haven't heard that noise for a while ...). I've felt the same popping sensation several times since then, and it's fun to think that it's our baby.

Only one week (and a few hours) before our ultrasound. I'm still completely unsure if the baby is a boy or a girl; some days I say "he" and some days I say "she." I'll let you know the results, and then we can all start brainstorming names for Clint to veto.

3 comments:

thepainterfamily said...

!!!

The first time you feel the baby move is so wonderful. I love the way you describe it :) and you're right...it's not easily explained!

M said...

I actually describe it as feeling like pop rocks in you tummy!

And I liked the secret-fit belly stuff from motherhood.com. Just to be helpful. Gap has some good t-shirts and sometimes dresses. Good luck! You're almost half way!

M said...

I am obsessively checking this blog, woman so you'll tell us what you're having! Some of us have flannel to buy and sew into something soft and squishy for the baby in your tummy!

:)