Monday, September 28, 2009

New York

Clint and I recently took a short trip to New York. It was my first time in the city, and we had a great time seeing the sites and being food tourists. A few highlight photographs below.
The obligatory cupcake--this one is red velvet from a place we happened to stumble across. Unfortunately, it wasn't that good. We did get cupcakes from Magnolia Bakery a different day, and they were much better.
This was something we had never heard of. The restaurant just serves dishes of macaroni and cheese. The food is served in different sizes of cast iron skillets, and you can get your dish with a variety of cheese and other toppings. It certainly was comfort food.
We also shared a pastrami on rye at Katz's. I never would have guessed that I liked pastrami or rye bread, but I would order it again here.
At Otto we tried three flavors of gelato: pistachio, honeydew melon, and sweet corn. It was all good, even the corn.
We just happened to stumble across Peanut Butter and Co. as we were heading somewhere else, but when we found it, we had to stop. There is a PBS special called Sandwiches That You Will Like. It is one of my family's favorite shows, and Peanut Butter and Co. was featured on the program. Clint and I shared an Elvis, minus the bacon, with a cup of fresh milk.

We did more than eating on the trip. We also took a daytime, double-decker bus ride of the northern part of Manhattan, and later a nighttime ride that included a ferry out to see the Statue of Liberty. This was my first time seeing the Statue of Liberty, and it was neat to see it at night, all lit up, for the first time. Unfortunately, the pictures we tried to take with us and the statue didn't turn out, but I liked this one with th
Another one of our treats in the city--Grey's Papaya dogs. I liked the papaya drink better than the banana flavored one, myself.
The Chrysler building at night, as seen from our double-decker night tour.
The happy couple on the night tour. This was at the beginning of the tour, just as we were leaving Times Square. It was probably good that we took it then; although it was quite warm during the day, it cooled off at night, and combined with the wind from the tour, we were a little chilled and windswept before it was all over.
Chrysler building on the daytime double-decker trip.

The happy couple on the daytime double-decker trip. What a beautiful, sunny day.

We were in New York during the terrible rain storms Georgia had last week. We made sure to enjoy the sunshine we had while praying that our house was okay without us. Thankfully, everything was fine when we got home. Apparently our area of Georgia wasn't hit as badly as some others.
Times Square. And one of the few remaining Chevy's restaurants. Chevy's has been a Ricker favorite, but it is hard to find them any more. So we made sure to visit, shared fajitas, and thought of the Rickers.

Angel Moroni atop the Manhattan temple. The Manhattan Temple is right in Lincoln Square and is one of three temples in converted buildings (Vernal, Utah, and Copenhagen, Denmark are the other two.) The temple is beautiful, and I am so grateful we had the chance to visit the temple while we were in the city.

Before this trip, I hadn't really thought much about visiting New York, and the little I had, I assumed it would be a quick, one time visit. I always pictured myself more as a country girl than a big city girl, but I really enjoyed our time in New York.

7 comments:

Jared and Katy said...

What a fun trip I {heart} NY!

ps it was good to see you the other week!

Adam said...

Looks like your trip was delicious!

Charlotta-love said...

I love New York...and I'm not a city girl. It's just a TAD too expensive for me!

thepainterfamily said...

WOW...you guys did it all! I love all your photos...and I think I'd REALLY like going on trips with you! You find the best spots....but wait, was that peanut butter sandwich supposed to have bacon on it too?

M said...

YAY! Now I'm excited! I've been nervous to go back, but now I can't wait!

Salem said...

What a fun trip?! It looks like you guys had a great time...and I may or may not be drooling right now after all of your delicious food descriptions. :) Next time you need a big city visit, come to Chicago!

Missy said...

you guys are so cute sarah! i always love seeing pictures of friends in nyc...makes me feel like i am there.

i want to know what you think of the swine flu vaccine.