I waited in line for three hours to vote last night. All week, the news has been reporting lines at least that long in the metro Atlanta area and in other parts of the county. It wasn't until after I arrived at the polling location that I wished for a camera to record the line that stretched half-way around the parking lot filled with cars, with more parked down the street in both directions.
Most people in line made the best of it, joking with one another and holding spaces for people who needed to run to their cars to get coats as the night got colder or who needed to find a bathroom. Two people even thought they recognized me or knew my family, although I'm pretty sure I didn't know them. A couple of entrepreneurs sold candy, bottles of water, mugs of self-heating coffee and hot chocolate, and even slices of pizza for prices approaching that of ball park concession stands. Several people had their children with them, and the kids ran around the park adjacent to the parking lot.
One of my regrets from this election is that so much focus has been on the presidential race that I didn't give myself as much time as I should have to research the other candidates and issues on the ballot. I suppose it is to be expected, especially in such a heated presidential election.
I'll be interested to see how Tuesday goes, both for the lines and for the results.
Friday, October 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
good job ms ricker!
Post a Comment